Thursday, June 20, 2013

New portable shelves

Hinges make the supports
 free standing.
I participated in the Park Ridge Art Fair this past weekend. It was my first fair in years and I wanted to make my display a little snazzier than my mediocre tables draped in velveteen cloth.  

I wanted to make shelves which were portable, easily erected, easily taken down, yet attractive.  The shelves I made were pretty cinchy, as the they needed to be since my experience with wood is quite limited.  All I did was screw 1 x 4's together to make something that looks like a ladder.  I made two of them, and these would serve as the shelf support. Hinging them together made them self supporting.  These are six feet tall so they would be tall enough to hold a good amount of ware, yet short enough to fit easily in my car.

I decided to make the shelves themselves seven feet long, which is the maximum length my car can hold.  All in all, the shelves were assembled at the fair in under 10 minutes.  I made two sets which lined two walls of my tent. They held a lot of ware, were easily stowed away when I needed to take down for the night, and what was best, was that I could carry the supports with no assistance! So much simpler than lugging a six foot table!  And a lot more attractive! 

Two sets of shelves line the walls
of the tent with a lot of ware.


No comments: